How to Choose the Best Waterproof LED Strip Light?
For high-quality waterproof led strip light, the outer tube can not only protect the internal components from the external environment (especially rain, water splash), but also effectively conduct the heat generated by LEDs and other electrical components, so that the LEDs can last longer.
So how to choose a suitable waterproof LED strip light, and what aspects to consider? We elaborate from two aspects: waterproof grade and waterproof material.
1. Choose the correct waterproof level
Many customers have questions: What kind of waterproof LED strip light should I use for my project?The format of the waterproof level of the LED strip light is IPXX, where IP is the abbreviation of ingress protection, and XX is a two-digit number, representing the IP waterproof protection level. The first number indicates the degree of protection against dust and foreign objects, and the second number indicates the degree of sealing against water intrusion.
In general, there are four common waterproof ratings for LED strips, namely IP20, IP65, IP67 and IP68, of which IP20 is not waterproof.
- IP65: Waterproof degree, that is, water sprayed from any direction by the 6.3mm nozzle to the housing will not cause damage to the LED strip. This is suitable for outdoor lighting projects such as yards, patios, gazebos, decks, etc. It can mainly withstand water splashes, rain and other weather elements, but it cannot be placed in water.
- IP67: Can be submerged in water up to 1 meter deep for up to 30 minutes.
As a result, IP65 and IP67 rated waterproof LED strips cannot be submerged in water for long periods of time, such as when left in a swimming pool.
- IP68: Can be immersed in water continuously, the water depth can reach 3 meters.
2. Choose a good waterproof material
The waterproof material of COXO LED light strip is made of silica gel, which is the best waterproof material. Because the silicone waterproof material has the advantages of non-yellowing, non-toxic, strong weather resistance, and UV resistance.
- Silicone waterproof LED strips are non-toxic. Silicone is the material used to make children’s pacifiers, which is environmentally friendly and safe.
- Silicone has super good weather resistance. No matter in the severe cold area of high latitude or in the hot subtropical area, silica gel can always maintain good softness.
- Silicone material has excellent UV resistance. It can be exposed to strong sunlight for a long time without yellowing and aging.
- Silicone has high light transmittance. The light transmittance of silicone is as high as 95%. When it is used to make waterproof materials for LED tape light, the light loss is lower than other waterproof materials.
3. What Can Waterproof LED Strip light Do?
Waterproof LED strip lights are widely used due to their different waterproof grades, dustproof and anti-corrosion properties; the following are some common application scenarios.
- Chemical plants, gas stations, seaside shops, residences and other places close to the coast.
- Cars, RVs, limousines, boats, yachts and ships, etc.
- Splash areas such as kitchens, bathrooms, saunas, salons, restaurants, bars, etc.
- Doors, windows, gardens, decks, terraces, landscape lighting.
- Dust areas, such as above ceilings, showcases, factories and workshops.
COXO is a specialist manufacturer of LED strip lights. We focus on LED strip lighting research, solutions and production. Our expertise and more than 10 years of experience make us adept at making professional LED strips. Our products have achieved UL, CE, RoHS and ERP certificates. Please contact us.